Changing from Index to ETF
Thoughts from you guys, I think I'm going to change from a total market index fund FSTVX ER (.045) to a total market ETF ITOT ER (.03) commission-free with Fidelity. This is all in a tax-deferred account so not worried about cap gains when making the trade.
- I've switched from purchasing FSTVX to ITOT already in my taxable due to FSTVX often distributing capital gains with their distributions
- Distributions are quarterly in ITOT rather than April and Dec for FSTVX. I like quarterly better.
- Have same fund in tax-advantage as well as taxable
- ITOT is .03 vs .045 expense ratio
- Not big, but it's kind of nice seeing portfolio changes throughout the day rather than hours after close
Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Only big thing I can thing of is time out of the market. So Index fund wouldn't sell until end of market close then if market jumps up the following morning before ETF ITOT is purchased might be some gain losses.
Read responses in bogleheads.org