BMW X5 2017 - Seeking advice
I am considering buying a 2017 BMW X5 later this year. My preference is to buy new (cash) and use it for at least 6-8 years. My other car is a Honda which I bought new ~8 years ago and has served me very well (90K miles with zero reliability issues apart from regular maintenance). I will be using the X5 mostly on weekends and I expect to average 5-8K miles per year. The internet forums (e.g. Bimmerfest) tell me that I should not expect the BMW to be anywhere close to a Honda in terms of long term reliability.
My primary reasons for buying new are -
- BMW warranty is now limited to 3 years/36K miles.
- Good "deals" for used BMW X5 appear to be restricted to those that are out of warranty with mileage more than 50K miles (suggesting aggressive use).
BMW X5 owners (current or past):
- Can I expect higher than average reliability due to my low mileage usage?
- Is there still a good reason to buy used or lease (given my plan to drive to 6-8 years at least)
- If you bought new from a dealer, how close were you able to get to "cost to dealership" : i.e (0.93 * MSRP + $500 MACO + $180 Training + $995 Destination/Handling + Taxes)
- Anything else you wish you knew before you bought a BMW.
Thanks a bunch!
Read responses in bogleheads.org