Legal options when merchant and credit card screwing you over?
Short question - what are the legal options, either against credit card issuer or against merchant, when you've "exhausted" the credit card dispute process? Any productive advice appreciated!
(Amt at risk is $1400, provided all relevant documentation including shipper tracking logs that reflect refused delivery of
item in question. Merchant does allow returns, but since I refused delivery, doesn't this bypass any possible merchant claim
that I didn't follow their return policy?)
- FTC, Consumerist, others likely to be any help? Have already tried tweeting credit card issuer wasn't much help.
- Small claims court? And against who, merchant and/or credit card issuer?
- Hire a lawyer? $1400 is not a small sum, and I'm *quite perturbed* with folks at this point on the principle, but no idea if
there are lawyers that take this kind of case, certainly don't know any.
Long form history:
- Electronics vendor ran a great sale on tvs over Black Friday, struggled with their web site to place the order for the item(s) I wanted. Ended up placing 2 wrong orders, each time calling the 1-800 # after ordering and being assured order was cancelled, 3 try ended up being the charm and got the right order/item. More fool I, accepted the word of customer reps @ 1-800 # and assumed the 2 wrong orders were cancelled. Turns out I received email shipping notifications for those items about 2 minutes before I received emails to the effect of `order shipped, you'll need to follow return process'. Per advice I've always seen in this sitch, I called the shipping companies and informed I was refusing delivery, have receipts to that effect from both.
- Thought the above would be it, would get a credit back from merchant and that's it. More fool I, received credit for one wrong order (after calling merchant), but keep being told "oh it's coming but not yet" on credit for second order. Fast forward 45+ days of delay, and I decided to open a credit card dispute since, you know, that's why you use credit cards instead of debit/etc. Sent in all documentation, full explanation, called many times over course of next 75+ days, always back and forth with "we issued credit, but now might be reversed, moving to next stage of arbitration". Last time I called, they said it would be in my favor, so I forgot about it until now. Just checked statement, and low/behold was `re-charged' 25+ days ago. This time when I called credit card company, pretty much got the "yeah, you're screwed, we `sent' the info over via email but maybe it got caught in your spam (it didn't), nothing more you can do".
- So have "exhausted" the credit card dispute "process", which claims the merchant "submitted documentation" to the "arbitrator" that ruled in their favor, yet haven't forwarded me a copy!